5.3.09

2010: CROSSING COMPLETED!

It is time to say "YEAH!!!" and a gracious "Thank You!"  The crossing has been completed!

It is bittersweet, as they say.  A mid-lake crossing from Two Rivers, WI to Ludington, MI was never completed.  For safety, the accompaniment of a chase boat was required and never obtained on a consistent basis.  If we had a willing boat and captain, the winds didn't cooperate.  When the conditions were right, our boat was already chartered or the captain was unavailable.  A "back up plan" was needed if this crossing attempt was to ever be completed.  I resigned myself to a "near shore" crossing at the southern end of the lake.  It was a hard decision, but two summers of waiting at the campsites for days on end had proven fruitless and frustrating. 

I swallowed my pride and accepted the reality of "Plan B".  The back up plan was a longer crossing route, but one that could be done much closer to the safety of the shore: Calumet Harbor, Chicago, IL to Michiana, MI.  The straight line route was actually a few miles shorter than the original, but the necessity to stay within a swimmable distance was imperative for safety, even though following the shore resulted in about a 45 mile trip.  Longer if you add up the tacking on the Spot map.  A "chase van" was along the roads near the route and radios were used for communications.  I'd like to thank my wife for being the coordinator of shore activities.  She was never a fan of this attempt from the beginning, but she supported me and did it anyway.  She is a blessing.

There were two attempts in 2010.  We were successful between early morning storms and night time rain on July 24th.  After almost checking out of the hotel and heading home, the NOAA radar loop turned favorable enough to sit it out and wait about 10am.  We readied the sufrunner and went to the harbor (more of an inlet, see YouTube picture loop at left).  By noon the radar looked clean until the evening and I just figured to give it shot.  After so many unsuccessful attempts where the wind died and I had the excitement of paddling back to shore, the forecast was for WSW to SSW winds at 10-15 knots the entire afternoon and evening.  Paddling back to shore in rain wouldn't be my first time...  This time however, luck was on our side.  After four years, the wind held, the waves did not exceed two feet most of the travel with the current winds pushing against those left from the NE from the storms (even the mid-lake buoy reported only 2-3 feet waves and that's a strange event after such storms... luck was certainly on my side...), and I kept the smokestacks of an old industrial Indiana just in sight off the horizon.  Six hours later, I arrived at Michiana, MI.  Right in front of the Holiday Inn to be exact.  Tacking in was interesting, but the beach was such a sight.   I don't think I ever used the words "Whoo Hoo!".  I did then.  In fact, my wife was about a half hour behind me.  (Long story about the Skyway and construction, but "thank you honey for all you've done these past few years...").  (That should keep me somewhat out of trouble...).

The Hero camera was a victim of water (a $200 loss, but more of a source of anger at the inability to show the grandkids "look what grandpa did", and bore them, more than the economic loss), but we have the launch footage and some gracious pictures from a family from the hotel of the recovery in our YouTube feed.  The Spot ten minute check ins are there as well.

I feel a sense of "let down."  Honestly, it's like preparing years to make an intricate BASE parachute jump and it is over so quickly it seems like just a brief moment and it's over.  No fanfare.  No crowd.  Nobody but the nice vacationing couple, Steve and Becky.  And someone to cart you away at the end.  I am glad it was m supporting wife. 

More disappointment followed.  My application for a Guinness record was denied.  A "first" in and of itself does not necessarily constitute a record without national public and media support.  Or that's what their letters said.  I scanned them in and posted below for your reference.  Just wanted to share the letdown.  :-(

But, I feel better.  It looked "undoable" due to schedules and weather and lack of support.  Its a testimonial to what one person can do with the help of others.  That' the lesson I learned.  Oh, the second lesson: don't announce what you're going to try and do years ahead of time.  Nobody is interested after just a few weeks anyway.  You're just already "old news" before you're even news.  Just have someone call them an hour before you get close to the shore.

I sound melancholy and a bit let down.  That's not how I feel.  I am just looking forward to my next challenge.  And I don't know what it is...

So, now, it's time to pay credit where it's due:

I would like to thank our annual sponsors: CYA Protective Gear, Don Joy, and Monster. Thank you for your unending assistance and support!

A big "Thank You", as well, to those who donated necessary equipment and technical support: Globalstar and the SPOT satellite tracking and response system, and The GEOS Alliance for Search and Rescue Operations coverage, which was fortunately never required.

The crossing of Lake Michigan and the funding of prostate cancer research has attracted the attention, help and cooperation of many other great companies: Extrong SportsSlingshot Sports, Lake Express, Liquid Force being notable for their assistance on multiple occasions. Please give them you kind consideration.

And, finally and most importantly to my wife of 13 years, Di.  She put up with my "crazy idea", the vacation plans always revolving around me and not the family, and was there for me in the end.  Figuratively and literally.  I love you.  I said I would promise, and I am: no more long distance kiteboarding ideas.  (I reserve the right to follow other paths, however).

Hope you enjoyed these entries over the years.  I will "clean up" the old blog a bit, so it is more chronological and readable, and leave it up for a while.  Until my next crazy idea, that is (sorry honey...).

--Chaz